Yes, the Six Sigma standard, go out 6 standard deviations from the mean
instead of the standard 3, is 3.4 defects in a million, instead of 1 in 370.

The Japanese definitely needed to create some defects.
Six Sigma is a recognized optimizing technique to achieve CMMI (Capability
Maturity Model Integration) level 5, nirvana, which model incidentally can
be traced back originally to a Bmer, Watts Humphery.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Elardus Engelbrecht <
elardus.engelbre...@sita.co.za> wrote:

> Timothy Sipples wrote:
> >... just the other day I heard a rumor that IBM would enter the hot dog
> manufacturing business in 2011.
>
> More rumours and jokes about IBM...
>
> http://www.snopes.com/humor/business/mouse.asp
>
> http://www.snopes.com/computer/program/stroustrup.asp
>
> http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/salted.asp
>
> http://www.snopes.com/quotes/kenolsen.asp
>
> And then there is my favourite rumour... ;-D
>
> "Apparently IBM decided to have some parts manufactured in Japan as a trial
> project. In the specifications, they set out that they will accept three
> defective parts per 10,000.
>
> When the delivery came in there was an accompanying letter.
>
> "We, Japanese people, had a hard time understanding North American business
> practices. But the three defective parts per 10,000 have been separately
> manufactured and have been included in the consignment. Hope this pleases
> you." .
>
> Today's rumour: today is Friday! ;-D
>
> Groete / Greetings
> Elardus Engelbrecht