In <b53f38421003080735x3b3d4fadt96f4c714c9775...@mail.gmail.com>, on
03/08/2010
   at 10:35 AM, George Henke <gahe...@gmail.com> said:

>I don't see anyone complaining about 64-bit memory being tooooo much and
>asking to bring back Expanded Storage and paging.

Apples and oranges. AFAIK the 308x boxen were the last to have true
expanded storage instead of arbitrarily labelling some of the central
storage as expanded. Were IBM to design a large BORAM at prices
significantly less than RAM prices then I for one would like to see it
available as expanded storage for 64-bit systems. What I wouldn't like to
see is artificially carving up the central storage as was done from the
3090 on.

As to paging, we still have it. With enough central memory the rates are
fairly low except during, e.g., dump capture. What nobody wants is
excessive paging rates, which you could only bring *back* if you had
already experienced them. The last time that I recall seeing excessive
paging rates was when a fixed-head disk was out of service for two weeks
due to a head crash.