>If you're looking for improved DASD response time, you're looking in the
>wrong place. Pre-processed panels save on CPU. Every ISPF panel must >be
tokenized. Those that are pre-processed bypass the vast majority of >that
processing, thus reducing the path length required to "load" them.

Having spent the last 2 years coding 10,000 lines into ISPF panels,  among
other things, I can definitely see the merit in Ed Jaffe's argument.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Edward Jaffe
<edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>wrote:

> Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>
>> I never personally noticed any performance gain from preprocessing.
>>>

>> Even back with slow DASD, I never saw a performance benefit that
>> out-weighed the admin overhead.
>> Today's DASD, I'd say forget it.
>>

> If you're looking for improved DASD response time, you're looking in the
> wrong place. Pre-processed panels save on CPU. Every ISPF panel must be
> tokenized. Those that are pre-processed bypass the vast majority of that
> processing, thus reducing the path length required to "load" them.
>
> --
> Edward E Jaffe
> Phoenix Software International, Inc
> 831 Parkview Drive North