From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Joel C. Ewing
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: SMP/E datasets question

If you have done SMP/E apply against both target zones, then there  is
no guaranteed fix.

For example, if there are members in MTS or STS that both target zones
think they "own", ACCEPTing the maintenance in one zone will move those
members into the appropriate DZONE DLIBs and remove them from MTS or STS
(might be some options to prevent the delete, not sure), and a latter
attempt to accept related sysmods in the other target zone wouldn't find
the members.

If you only do SMP/E maintenance against a "test" target zone, then
clone the Tzone and TLIBS to install in production and never use SMP/E
for APPLY/ACCEPT/RESTORE against the "production" clone TZone, then you
don't really have a problem because the libraries at issue are only used
during maintenance (possibly could/should delete their DDDEFs in the
production Tzone in this case).

If you use SMP/E to APPLY to both target zones, then there would always
be the risk of unintentionally doing things out of order in a way that
SMP/E would think legit but that could cause corruption because of the
shared target datasets.  If you have been doing SMP/E APPLY to both
target zones and accepting maintenance for an extended period while
running with MTS/STS/LTS/SCDS shared, depending on what usage was made
of the shared datasets and the order in which things were done, you
could already have corrupted members in some of your TLIBS and DLIBs.
Perhaps not, but actually proving the absence of adverse side effects
would be very difficult:  The only sure method is to start with a fresh
install and re-apply to the current level of maintenance.

If you use SMP/E to APPLY to both target zones and are in the resulting
"unknown" SMP/E status and don't have the resources for a z/OS
re-install, I would be tempted to clone separate copies of the existing
MTS/STS/SCDS/LTS libraries for the other target zone, hope there has
been no serious damage yet, and gamble that things hang together long
enough until a migration to the next release of z/OS, where you can then
be sure to observe correct practices with the new zones.
   JC Ewing

Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org