Occaisionally we see a failure in a z/OS Unix program, where "fork"
fails with the following message:

12.41.28 S0079894 BPXP012I FORK SYSCALL TERMINATED DURING CHILD PROCESSING WITH
   387 RETURN CODE 00000070, REASON CODE 00000004.

Note that RC=70 is "Resource temporarily unavailable", reason code (4)
is undocumented.

It is accompanied by a message in stderr:

fork: EDC5112I Resource temporarily unavailable. (errno2=0x0B150020)

This reason code (0B150020) is documented:
==============
JRForkExitRcParentBadEnv: Forking is not supported under the current parent
environment

Action: The fork service supports only programs running with a PSW security
key of 8. The following are conditions in the parent process that may cause
this error to be reported:
 o If any (E)SPIE for the current RB is not key 8
 o When any SCB for the current RB is not key 8
 Correct any error conditions and resubmit the job.
Its wierd, since parent program normally works fine.

It is accompanied by an unknown console message PERN001I (with a big
string of hex data).

Has anyone seen this error or recognize the source of the PERN001I  message?
Has anyone seen this particular error in fork?

Any ideas would be appreciated,

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies
http://dovetail.com