We had something like this here also. The file did have a fixed record length.
The problem that the programmers whined about was that their file description
had to be extended by one character for the trailing 0x25 (what an LF get
translated to in this case). If they didn't then COBOL wouldn't open the file
because the LRECL on the file didn't match the size of the record in the COBOL
progam.

Just out of curiousity, why wouldn't the "ftp to a UNIX file, then use the tr
to convert 0x25 to 0x15, then copy to a z/OS dataset" routine work for you? Is
it a dislike of using UNIX? Or a dislike of needing a "post processing" step?

Lastly, and least likely to be acceptable, is to write your own ftp client
which "knows" how to handle this case. I'd probably look at using REXX sockets,
if I had to do such a thing.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell