-------------------------------------<snip>--------------------------------------
I am using CSI (catalog search interface) to obtain some catalog information for a data set. For some data sets IGGCSI00 returns with RC4 and reason code 108 and also message IEF705I is issued.

Description of IDC3009I RC=4 RSN=108 says the catalog could not be dynamically allocated in the catalog address space which may well be true as it is quite possible that catalog does not even exist anymore. The catalog parameter list indicated that dynamic allocation in the callers address space was not allowed. As far as I know there is no parm for IGGCSI00 in order to allow this, or am I missing something?

Does anybody know of such a parameter, or perhaps how to even prevent all those error messages caused by my calls to IGGCSI00?
If you're getting an indication that the catalog can't be dynamically allocated, that's a pretty sure indicator that the catalog is no longer in existence. You've probably got an alias pointer in the MCAT that still points to that missing catalog. Check all your catalogs and see if the dataset(s) were moved to another catalog and someone forgot to update the alias pointer.

It really doesn't matter where the dynamic allocation request coms from, whether your AS or the Catalog AS. The results would be the same.

Stop worrying about the messages and start worrying about the status of your user catalogs and the related alias pointers, 'cuz that's where your problem REALLY exists. Start by dong a LISTCAT NAME on all the UCATS and MCATs you can find and start comparing UCAT contents vs. alias pointers in the MCAT(s). Chances are good, from what you say, that a UCAT was deleted by reformatting a volume and the related MCAT ALIAS and UCAT entries were never cleaned up properly. Those messages would seem to indicate a bigger problem that a CSI error.

Rick
---
Accept that fact that some days you're the pigeon, other days you're the statue.