Gil,

I have not tried to decompress a file created using terse on PC. But on OS/2
Days terse was used to send dump's to IBM. I did a quick -h on terse and found
the following... Let me do a test of PDS and let you know.

I:\tersepc>terse -h
| TERSE 2.1d (Windows)                           Michael Nagy, MNAGY @ SPPVM1 |
| Cross-Platform Compression Utility             Copyright (C) Advantis, 1994 |
|              Usage:   TERSE sourcefile {targetfile} {switches}              |
| Some of the more important switches which you may specify are:              |
|         -b .... binary ........ binary mode (text mode is default)          |
|         -h .... help .......... display extended help documentation         |
|         -s .... statistics .... display statistical information             |
|         -f .... fixed ......... fixed-length records                        |
|         -e .... ebcdic ........ host ebcdic code page                       |
|         -a .... ascii ......... pc ascii code page                          |
|         -l .... language ...... country code for codepage pair              |
| The target file is assumed to be the same as the source file unless another |
| target file is explicitly specified.  The appropriate function (compression |
| or decompression) will be selected automatically.   The autoselection logic |
| can also be disabled if necessary.  Read the "-h" extended help information |
| to learn how.   Extended help also discusses file transfer procedures which |
| you must follow to successfully exchange compressed files with the host.    |
| TERSE is a PC implementation of the host data compression algorithm used by |
| the host "TERSE" program when the "(SPACK" option is specified.   It allows |
| data to be compressed under either VM or MVS,  sent to the PC in compressed |
| form, and then decompressed on the PC.  It also allows you to compress data |
| on the PC, send it to the host in compressed form,  and decompress it under |
| either VM or MVS.    TERSE can also decompress files compressed by the host |
| "TERSE"  program when the  "(PACK"  option is specified, but TERSE will not |
| create such files.                                                          |
| When uploading compressed files from the PC to the host, make sure  to  set |
| up your file transfer program to do a binary transfer using 1024 byte fixed |
| length records.   When downloading compressed files to the PC from the host |
| it is sufficient to do a simple binary transfer.   Never allow the transfer |
| program to do any type of EBCDIC/ASCII or CRLF conversions!                 |
| The following switches may be specified to override the autoselection logic |
| which normally determines if a file should be compressed or decompressed by |
| examining the special tersed file header:                                   |
|          -c .... compress ...... compress the source file                   |
|          -d .... decompress .... decompress the source file                 |
| Under rare circumstances the autoselection logic may think an  uncompressed |
| file has already been compressed and try to decompress it.  In this case it |
| would be necessary to specify the "-c" switch to force compression.  In the |
| same fashion, the  "-d"  switch can force decompression for files which are |
| incorrectly considered by the autoselection logic to be compressed.         |
| The following switch is provided to assist in situations when unexpected or |
| inexplicable results occur:                                                 |
|          -x .... examine ....... display tersed file header data            |
| The "-x" switch  will cause the autoselection logic to display the contents |
| of the terse file header without actually doing any data conversion.        |
| To convert a file "in place"  (without creating an output file with another |
| file name) just omit the target filename,  or specify the same filename for |
| both the source and target files.  In either case the new file will replace |
| the original.                                                               |
| When running the TERSE program from a batch file or other environment where |
| extraneous output is undesired, you can specify the "-q" switch:            |
|         -q .... quiet ......... suppress all boilerplate text               |
| The "-q" switch will be ignored if the "-s" switch has also been specified. |
| When compressing files in host-compatible mode,  a 256 byte variable-length |
| record format is assumed.  To use fixed-length record sizes instead specify |
| the "-f" switch, followed by the desired fixed record length:               |
|         -f80 .. fixed ......... 80 byte fixed-length (for example)          |
| Fixed-length record sizes can range from 1 to 65535 bytes.                  |
| The host compatibility involves several complications to the primary job of |
| compressing and decompressing data files.  To turn off these extensions use |
| the following switch:                                                       |
|         -n .... native ........ universal native binary mode                |
| Files compressed with the  "-n"  switch will be slightly smaller than those |
| processed in host compatible mode.   Processing will also be a bit quicker. |
| When "-n" is specified the "-b" (binary) switch is ignored.                 |
|        ** Host compatibility is lost when the "-n" switch is used! **       |
| The default  ASCII/EBCDIC  character translation tables are the same tables |
| used in several popular software packages, including ALMCOPY.  These tables |
| perform a nonstandard translation, however, which doesn't correspond to any |
| of the standard  EBCDIC and  ASCII codepages.   If you need a more standard |
| translation,  override these default tables either by explicitly specifying |
| a specific  EBCDIC or ASCII codepage,  or by specifying a language codepage |
| pair directly with the "-l" (language) switch.                              |
| When the default translation tables are disabled, then the ASCII and EBCDIC |
| codepages commonly used in the United States,  specifically EBCDIC codepage |
| 37 and ASCII codepage 437, are assumed unless individually or jointly over- |
| ridden by the  "-e" (ebcdic),  "-a" (ascii),  or "-l" (language)  switches. |
| You can use the  "-e"  and  "-a" switches to change either or both of these |
| defaults individually as shown below:                                       |
|         -e37 ... ebcdic ....... host ebcdic code page                       |
|         -a437 .. ascii  ....... pc ascii code page                          |
| The following EBCDIC code pages are supported:                              |
|       37,  273,  277,  278,  280,  284,  285,  290,  297,  420,  424,       |
|      500,  833,  836,  838,  870,  871,  875,  918, 1025, 1026, 1027        |
| The following ASCII code pages are supported:                               |
|      437,  850,  852,  855,  857,  862,  864,  866,  868,  869,  874,       |
|     1040, 1041, 1042, 1043                                                  |
| The following  EBCDIC/ASCII  codepage  pairs  are  typically  used  in  the |
| specified countries.  You can use the associated "Code" value with the "-l" |
| (language) switch to select these codepage pairs directly:                  |
|     Country        Code  EBCDIC  ASCII                                      |
|     ----------------------------------                                      |
|     Albania..........AL....0870...0852                                      |
|     Arabic...........AR....0420...0864                                      |
|     Australia........US....0037...0437                                      |
|     Austria..........GE....0273...0850                                      |
|     Belgium..........BE....0500...0850                                      |
|     Brazil...........BR....0037...0850                                      |
|     Bulgaria.........BU....1025...0855                                      |
|     Canada...........CA....0037...0850                                      |
|     China............CH....0836...1042                                      |
|     Czechoslovakia...CZ....0870...0852                                      |
|     Denmark..........DE....0277...0850                                      |
|     Finland..........FI....0278...0850                                      |
|     France...........FR....0297...0850                                      |
|     Germany..........GE....0273...0850                                      |
|     Greece...........GR....0875...0869                                      |
|     Hungary..........HU....0870...0852                                      |
|     Iceland..........IC....0871...0850                                      |
|     Ireland..........IR....0285...0850                                      |
|     Israel...........IS....0424...0862                                      |
|     Italy............IT....0280...0850                                      |
|     Japan............JA....1027...1041                                      |
|     Korea............KO....0833...1040                                      |
|     Netherlands......NE....0037...0850                                      |
|     New Zealand......NZ....0037...0437                                      |
|     Norway...........NO....0277...0850                                      |
|     Pakistan.........PA....0918...0868                                      |
|     Poland...........PL....0870...0852                                      |
|     Portugal.........PR....0037...0850                                      |
|     Romania..........RO....0870...0852                                      |
|     Russia...........RU....1025...0866                                      |
|     South Africa.....SA....0037...0437                                      |
|     Spain............SP....0284...0850                                      |
|     Sweden...........SE....0278...0850                                      |
|     Switzerland......SI....0500...0850                                      |
|     Taiwan...........TA....0037...1043                                      |
|     Thailand.........TH....0838...0874                                      |
|     Turkey...........TU....1026...0857                                      |
|     United Kingdom...UK....0285...0850                                      |
|     United States....US....0037...0437                                      |
|     Yugoslavia.......YU....0870...0852                                      |
| A few examples may serve to make all this clear.   The defaults  have  been |
| selected so you do not need to specify any switches to  exchange compressed |
| text files with the host.                                                   |
| To compress a text file before uploading it to the host, or to decompress a |
| text file after downloading it from the host, with the default EBCDIC/ASCII |
| codepage translations, use:                                                 |
|                             TERSE filename                                  |
| To compress a text file before uploading it to the host, or to decompress a |
| text file after downloading it from the host, with the appropriate codepage |
| translations for Spain (EBCDIC codepage 284 and ASCII codepage 850), use:   |
|                             TERSE filename -lsp                             |
| TERSE automatically selects compression or decompression as needed,  and by |
| default performs ASCII/CRLF to or from EBCDIC format conversion.  When such |
| conversions are inappropriate use the "-b" (binary) switch to disable them: |
|                             TERSE filename -b                               |
>terse.zip file containing executables for windows/dos/mac/linux etc.

Both terse and unterse?

Ummm.  Doesn't terse reflect a lot of information from the DSCB?
How does that play on a non-z?OS platform?

For that matter, can terse be used for interchange between
z/OS and z/VM?  PDS[E] <--> SFS directory?

-- gil

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY

The information contained in this communication, including but not limited to
any accompanying document(s) and/or attachment(s), is privileged and
confidential and is intended solely for the above-named individual(s). If you
are not the intended recipient, please be advised that any distribution,
copying, disclosure, and/or use of the information contained herein is strictly
prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please destroy all
copies of the communication, whether in electronic or hard copy format, and
immediately contact the Security Office at EdFund at (916) 526-7539 or
securityoff...@edfund.org. Thank you.