eamacn...@yahoo.ca (Ted MacNEIL) writes:
> Correct me if I'm wrong; didn't terse start out on VM (pre-z)?

HUFF/PUFF predated terse (done in YKT on cms from the 70s) ... mentioned
here
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=PACKED&ft=PROB

some number of 1991 posts that mention applications/tools
that should be part of every toolkit (including TERSE)
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=TOOLKIT&ft=MEMO

1994 post goes into some discussion of data compression
APIs and TERSE mentioned here
http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/browse?fn=ESAV2&ft=MEMO

... not on vmshare ... but earliest reference I have to using TERSE for
package distributions on the internal network is 1985.

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970