The only tape media I have worked with that had that sort of error rate was
8mm DAT.  That was very unreliable.  In 20+ years of 34xx/3590 experience
I've never seen that sort of error rate.

I don't think even the cassette tape used with the TRS-80 was as bad as the
DAT tape.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Dave Reinken <da...@reinken.us> wrote:

> > Anybody read the Mainframe Executive article on the death of tape as a
> > backup media?  The guy writing it used to work for STK and Sun, and now
> > works for disk-based backup vendors.  He says the following:
> >
> > - 15% of all backups fail (my experience < 1%)
> > - 10-50% of all restores from tape fail (my experience <1%)
> > - 40-50% failure when restoring data from tape > 5 years (my experience
> > again is <1%)
> >
> > So what are you guys seeing out there?  Do we really have mainframe tape
> > failure rates in the double-digits percentwise?  If we do, then the guy
> is
> > right and tape is dead, but I just don't buy those figures.  What say
> you?
>
> Even on 3420's, of which I have seen a few snapped tapes, error rates
> were much lower than these ones. I would be curious as to where he came
> up with these numbers. Given the thousands of 3420's I used, the error
> rate on those was below 1%, and on 3480, 3490, 3490E and 3590 tapes the
> rates have been far below 1%.
>
> On various tape systems I've used to back up PC workstations and network
> servers, on the other hand, I have definitely seen high error rates,
> although probably much closer to 15-20% at the highest than the up to
> 50% he reports.

Mark Pace
Mainline Information Systems
1700 Summit Lake Drive