Hal Merritt pisze:
Perhaps if you look only at the media proper, but perhaps not if you look at
the TCO*.

A tape based solution almost invariably includes many humans and physical activities in the process. That's expansive. Darned expensive. And slow. Very slow.

Bad assumptions. No human interventions are necessary. Have you seen about ATL? Autmated Tape Library?

Worse, in a DR scenario physical tapes are S-L-O-W because they have to be transported via PTAM* from the storage site to the DR site. This can push a MTR* out to a couple of days.

Again, BAD ASSUMPTION. No need to PTAM. ATL can reside in DR datacentre. The second one. Forgive me malice: how fast are non-tape media when transported via PTAM? Are the disk any faster during transportation?

These days, one can link a couple of DS8100's and have critical data redundancy for a very competitive TCO. Depending on your specific situation, you could set a realistic MTR objective of an hour or so.

Don't confuse backup and replication. Even three-site solution does not protect you form human or application error. Mistakenly deleted dataset is deleted in both primary and secondary site. PiT copy is the solution but quite expensive for medium and large amounts of data.

> *TCO = Total Cost of Ownership. The total bottom line dollars
> involved.
> *PTAM = Pickup Truck Access Method. Physically moving a tape cartridge
> from site A to site B. (From an IBM Redbook on the subject.)
> *MTR = Mean Time to Recovery. The total clock time from the point
> where normal processing ends to the point where normal processing
> resumes as if nothing happened.

MTR usually means time to REPAIR. Your descriptions regards RTO - Recovery Time Objective (Recovery Point Objective, Recovery Time Objective - crucial parameters for any DR and backup plans). Of course this is acronym, and by definition can be overloaded (have different meanings). I presented popular ones in this context.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2009 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
wpacony) wynosi 118.763.528 zotych. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchway XXI WZ z dnia 16 marca
2008r., oraz uchway XVI NWZ z dnia 27 padziernika 2008r., moe ulec
podwyszeniu do kwoty 123.763.528 z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym
BRE Banku SA bd w caoci opacone.