>I should also point out a new idea: networked VTS.

It's NOT new, unless you consider 2001 technology new.
We were outsourced in 2001, and IGS Canada had to deliver a GDPS solution, with
duplexed DASD and Tape.
And, it had a fixed cost; if IBM went over, they ate it.
Mind you, we got into many creative accounting exercises.
Of course, we did for outages, maintenance vs projects and others.

>The IBM TS7740 (and I'm sure some others) has the ability to be networked with
>other TS7740's to automatically replicate virtual tapes.

And, predecessors.

>Unlike the DASD XRC/PPRC solutions, the network pipe can be sized on average
>loads and be a bit smaller (less expensive).

Actually, that's not always true.
Unlike DASD, I/O is not propogated for each individual block.
But, at the end of the volume, the entire contents are sent to the back-up VTS.

I don't know if it's still the case, but that impacted mount times, because the
next tape can't be mounted until its predessessor is written and acknowledged.

So, a slow network can be a pain!

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!