On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:49:50 -0400, scott <svet...@ameritech.net> wrote:

>On 03/28/2010 07:15 PM, Jim Marshall wrote:
>> Bill Smith (ex-IBM'er) asked me a question and I told him I would post it on
>> IBM-Main. Bill worked for IBM for many, many years and took off in a lateral
>> direction getting a Masters in Education and was recently teaching JCL to 20+
>> French speaking (a bit of English too) trainees. Bill is curious if
anyone has
>> developed a course around using Hercules as the platform which I would
>> imagine would be running MVS 3.8 versus some bandit version of z/OS.
>>
>> Let me know either on or off list and will relay it to Bill.  Oh yes, he
may be
>> back on IBM-Main in the near future starting a full time job for some
insurance
>> company out in California dreaming land.
>>
>> thanks  jim
>>
>  Shouldn't be difficult to do.  MVS 3.8 (under hercules) has the basics
>of JCL and of course carried over into the new z/OS.  There is no course
>that I know of the uses MVS 3.8 running under hercules or not.

A few challenging topic-points, given the MVS and JES dated environment -
OUTPUT statement; IF/ENDIF; DD standalone parameter (not sub-parm) for
RECFM, LRECL, etc.; consideration of MODEL DSCB elimination with SMS; use of
&SYSUID for DSN, NOTIFY, etc.  Recent SYSIN constraint relief beyond LRECL=80.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.