mark.van-der-eyn...@hp.com (Mark van der Eynden) writes:
> If you have the command in col 1 (i.e. no piping) it would be 'stack *'
>
> But gees guys, you're talking about 25 year old memories, I'd expect XEDIT is
> even better now -)

for a little topic drift ... old posts detailing how a lot of ISPF
development was paid for by siphoning off revenue from VM370 Performance
products:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2000d.html#17 Where's all the VMers?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#33 XEDIT on MVS
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003k.html#0 VSPC
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005t.html#40 FULIST
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#50 TSO and more was: PDP-1
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#17 The Perfect Computer - 36 bits?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007o.html#41 Virtual Storage implementation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007o.html#69 ServerPac Installs and dataset
allocations
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007t.html#55 new 40+ yr old, disruptive technology
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#43 handling the SPAM on this group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009s.html#46 DEC-10 SOS Editor Intra-Line Editing

the issue was that traditional favorite son operating system related
development had culture of large organizations, staff, and overhead.
Moving into pricing for individual software components was somewhat
tramatic for that development culture ... even a decade or more
after unbundling announcement (and a lot of individual products
would never had sold if priced to fully cover all costs)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#unbundle

product price/revenue had to be greater than infrastructure costs. The
solution was to marry several products in the same package or
organization ... so that aggregate organization product revenue is
better than aggregate infrastructure costs.

this was done with jes2 networking married to vm370 networking. for ISPF
it was merging the VM370 Performance products into the same group with
ISPF. The two products had approx. the same aggregate revenue ... but at
the time, the ISPF organization had nearly 100 times more people than
supporting VM370 Performance products (and after the merging is kept
that way ... simple support with little or no new VM370 performance
product development because ISPF needed to siphon off all the funds).

by comparison xedit was done mostly by one person ... although there
were some internal politics ... because there was another internal
editor (also by one person) that was much more mature and more function
...  that could have been selected in lieu of xedit.

some old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#email780311
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#email790606
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#email800311
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#email800312
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#email800429
in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006u.html#26 Assembler question

and
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#email810531
in this post
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006n.html#55 The very first text editor

other past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001m.html#22 When did full-screen come to VM/370?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002p.html#39 20th anniversary of the internet (fwd)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003d.html#22 Which Editor
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004o.html#36 Integer types for 128-bit addressing
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006k.html#51 other cp/cms history
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007g.html#5 Call for XEDIT freaks, submit ISPF
requirements
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2008h.html#43 handling the SPAM on this group
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009c.html#52 THE runs in DOS box?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009c.html#54 THE runs in DOS box?

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970