----------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------
Prior to JES, Data Management facilities were unsuitable for the needs of spooling.

In what way?

I can think of several possible scenarios:

1. Data compression. Just trimming the trailing blanks can be a wonderful space-saver.

2. Data retention. By that, I mean the mechanisms to determine the appropriate print train for impact printers,forms control buffers, character sets for laser printers, etc. Not to mention forms information, either names or basic images. And copy counts, as well as COPYMOD information.

3. Writing all the data to a common file would be a major headache just in managing the space in that file. Not to mention managing discontinuous ranges of records scattered around that file in order to keep a single SYSOUT group together and in the proper order.

The various management mechanisms involved in the JES Checkpoint and Spool space can be coordinated very nicely when everything filters through the same mechanism, but approaches anarchy when users can come and go at will. With JES, everything goes through a common mechanism, follows the same protocols and is handled in identical fashion.

Just my two cents worth.

Rick