On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:00:44 -0600, Rick Fochtman wrote:

>----------------------------------<snip>---------------------------------
>Prior to JES, Data Management facilities were unsuitable for the needs
>of spooling.
>
>>In what way?
>>
>-----------------------------<unsnip>------------------------------------------

I wasn't there, so I'm relying on rumors.

>I can think of several possible scenarios:
>
>1. Data compression. Just trimming the trailing blanks can be a
>wonderful space-saver.

Programmers converting between attached printers and spool
tended to leave RECFM=F (not FB).  This resulted in adverse
space utilization before JES.  JES blocks regardless.

When the spool was kept in PS data sets, the programmer
was required to manage SPACE allocation.  Sometimes
(always) this was done by SYSOUT class, a quite inflexible
mechanism.  JES simply grabs the space it needs as it
proceeds.

-- gil