On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:03:50 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>>I'd be very hesitant about giving away something that might enable
>>"destructive influences" to further their aims.
>
>It's a damned if you do/don't.
>I thank IBM for closing a hole.
>But, without knowing anything about what the exposure is, how do we know how
>to configure the security settings?

Did IBM close a hole, or merely provide a means of restricting its use?

Please, IBM, provide some guidelines for configuring the secuity
settings.  It must be more explicit than, e.g., "To allow programmers
to perform RECIEVEs, permit them READ access to the RECEIVE class, ..."
It must provide an explanation of the motivation for not simply
permitting UACC(READ).

If it's a blanket statement such as, "Use of any SMP/E function allows
compromise of system integrity, therefore only highly trusted personnel
should be permitted use of any SMP/E function," the hole is far from
closed.

-- gil