>Barbara, I share your pain. We had a similar failure because of a
>hardware failure in the console device itself. We were able to get the
>console offline by re-directing all its messages to another console.
>After repairs, we got it back online and active as a console with nary a
>problem. You can find the redirection mechanism under the CONTROL
>command in the Operator's Guide.

Thanks Rick.

Well, I was told that IBM assumes it was 'a network problem' (and not
something in the OSA card itself) that caused the channel control check to be
presented. IBM then took the cop-out and said that to be 100% sure they will
need to have a trace active in the OSA card that needs to get stopped within
5 minutes after the problem occuring.

Never mind that IBM does not tell us *how* to detemine that it was this
problem and how to stop the trace in the time window, especially at
o:dark:30. So much for finding the *cause* of the problem.

None of this addresses the bad recovery part in commtask that I alluded to
yesterday. Something must have been real screwy: This morning we found out
that the console in question was still stopped. When I went there I saw that it
was showing messages from the time of the actual first I/O error. That console
was shown as COND=A with an online UCB and NBUF=0 (indicating no
messages queued) on a D C right before I went there.

I typed the standard wake-up command "D T". This resulted in the emulation
session terminating, reconnecting immediately and showing me a completely
empty screen. Well, it prompted me for logon at the bottom (which fits with
the last thing seen in log, namely logoff forced by some IEECV module
yesterday morning when my colleague had done the vary online command that
relieved the wto buffer shortage). The first message then shown on the
console was current. There is a huge gap in messages presented to the
consoles!

Has anyone seen consoles (after console restructure) in state cond=a with no
messages actually on the screen and commtask not even attempting to queue
messages there?
What good is a console that you can't rely on?

okay, back into my corner, stop ranting.
Barbara