Kevin,

>Sorry, I wasn't on IBMMAIN last night. We've had a lively debate about what
>happened and what we might be able to do to handle it more intelligently.

thanks for letting me know. Please feel free to contact me directly (Jim has my
work email, if you don't). I have a syslog excerpt from three systems that I
could send you, if that helps. Unfortunately I have no dump, and no other doc
than the syslogs. I was either too stupid to find them or there really aren't
any
MIH records in erep, much less software records of anything.

Tony,

>Wouldn't it be by definition a hardware problem in the OSA card if a
>"network problem" is capable of causing a channel control check? My
>reading of the definition of Channel Control Check in the Principles
>of Operation is that it is a machine malfunction that cannot be caused
>by external data or conditions. Perhaps you should ask them if the OSA
>card has been granted a deviation from the POO; they take this stuff
>fairly seriously.

>I'm also surprised that the machine didn't call home about this kind
>of hardware problem. Perhaps they already have logs and such, but the
>wrong people have them.

I didn't say that we technicians *believe* what IBM told us, did I :-) ? The
OSA logs are IBM confidential (or something), otherwise my network guy would
already have checked them. He's very good at that. He also believes that they
wrap very fast, so there really might not be a log from the time of the failure
anymore.

The way I  learned it, a channel control check is basically the equivalent of
an
abend0c4, only in micro/milli/whatever code - in hardware. Happens all the
time with DASD. z/OS usually recovers and goes on without any hickup.

But given the amount of work for each of us, my boss decided (after that cop-
out from IBM) that we will not do anything more unless the problem recurs. (In
which case someone will start the trace and then we wait for another
recurrance.)

It's just my general obstinacy that I don't want to wait for a recurrance and
possibly run into some severe problem because of a channel control check.
Finding the cause is one thing, fixing recovery and stabilizing operations is
my
priority. (And so I kinda ignore what my boss told me.)

Best regards, Barbara