On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:30:45 -0700, Kurt Eastwood <kurtms...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I hope those of your who have experience with Linux on the mainframe would
be wiling to share your expertise.

>My boss has asked me to find out anything I can about running Linux on the
mainframe.

>Is anyone running Linux on their mainframe?

Lots. Check out my Linux on System z presentation at
http://ibm.com/vm/devpages/jelliott/events.html (under the Central Ontario
Users Group).

>If so, how are you running it? standalone? under zos? etc?

Linux runs under z/VM (or a few customers run directly in an LPAR). z/OS
does not provide virtualization to run a Linux guest.

>How is installation and maintenance of Linux and system while running Linux
on mainframe?

Maintenance is similar to running Linux on any other platform.

>Are there any good Redbooks or other documentation on installing and
running Linux on the mainframe?

Loads, just search at http://ibm.com/redbooks. There are cookbooks there for
installing both Red hat and Novell SLE.

>Are there any training course on doing this?

Go to SHARE or the IBM System z University (formerly Expo) where hands-on
labs are run as well as lots of other sessions. Also, IBM and several of our
partners run seminars around the world (not just in Poughkeepsie).

>Any gotchas running Linux on the mainframe?

As compared to what? Linux is a LOT different from z/OS but if you know
Linux (or UNIX) from the "distributed" world, it is not a big learning
curve, as long as you have someone who understands System z hardware.

>Any good/great experiences or bad experiences running Linux on the mainframe?

I will leave this to customers to respond.

Jim Elliott