From:   Chris Mason <chrisma...@belgacom.net>
To:     IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date:   04/14/2010 01:30 PM
Subject:        Re: SNA over TCPIP OS/390 1.3
Sent by:        IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

Michael

If the partner node supports SNA, typically 802.2 LAN although SDLC is
possible, then a DLSw router at either end of the communication path is
all
you need. You don't need any more advice here - unless it's about the
basics
of defining a logical 3172 to VTAM - and possibly the SNA software in your

partner node with which I anyhow could probably manage to help you.

This has nothing to do with TN3270 which is another way to handle "SNA
over
IP", specifically a TN3270 TCP commotion concatenated to an SNA session
both supporting the 3270 data steam.

The OS/390 1.3 is a bit of a limitation. I think this predates Enterprise
Extender as an option but probably falls into the era of AnyNet SNA over
IP.
Here it is important that your partner node also supports AnyNet SNA over
IP.

You'd better post again explaining what you *really* want to do and be
clear
about what your partner node is - and at what level of software - and the
URL where the documentation can be found - or we'll all have to have a
conversation over what its capabilities are.

You may also need to be clear over what you have done to your OSA feature
since I can't quite make out how you have configured it.

To which platform does "SNA Gateway Server" refer. I hope it's not also
something antique that belongs on the IBM platform!

Something occurs to me: you say OS/390 1.3 but do you mean z/OS 1.3,
which is rather less lost in the mists of time. If so we'd need to
re-evaluate
the possibilities for Enterprise Extender.

Chris Mason

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:04:45 -0500, Michael Saraco <michael.sar...@baer-
CONSULTING.COM> wrote:

>We have a need to SNA over TCPIP on an OS/390 1.3. The OS is running on a
>MP2003 with an OSA card that supports Ethernet and Token Ring only on
port
>and the Token Ring connection. It looks like it can be done. We have the
IP
>TN3270 already on the OSA card can the SNA still go over the same port?
Do