Michael

So as an interim step in a decades-long migration "off the mainframe", the
3745 is to be sunset. What we have which can be used to replace it for
admittedly a very low traffic requirement is an OSA feature.

That being so, what I said last time about how to replace the 3745 with the
OSA feature looks just fine to me. Is there anything about that with which
you need clarification?

One minor adjustment is that what I said about TN3270.

>...> We have the IP TN3270 already on the OSA card ...

This implied you were using ICC. Since you would appear to be using the z/OS
Communications Server TN3270 server function or the "TCP/IP for MVS"
TN3270 server function already[1], that just eliminates part of the migration I
assumed might be necessary.

I believe, in effect, you have already configured the OSA feature port for OSE
channel type. You are currently running only IP but, with the aid of OSA/SF
customization, you can add SNA capability.

The OSA feature looks like the sort of OSA-2 on which I honed my early OSA
skills around 2000 such as all the ways to install OSA/SF and how to set it up
to be shared by SNA and IP. I think that OSA-2 had the possibility to run
either Ethernet or Token Ring and you had to decide which you wanted.

I found this snippet in the oldest OSA manual, "OSA Planning", "on" the
OSA/SF shelf - which quixotically is where you are obliged to look for OSA
manuals - I could find for the oldest z/OS release to which I - easily - have
access, 1.1.[2]

</quote>

3. Unique among OSA-2s, an ENTR OSA-2 has two physical ports, each of
which can be connected to either an Ethernet LAN segment or a token-ring
LAN segment. The other OSA-2s have only one physical port.

</quote>

>...> ... with an OSA card that supports Ethernet and Token Ring only on port
and the Token Ring connection.

I think what you might have been saying here in your first post is that your
OSA feature supports Token Ring and[3] Ethernet but has just one port. Also
that it's the Token Ring plug to which you have a connection. That snippet
confirms that you use either Ethernet *or* Token Ring.

> The OSA card has a Ethernet port and a Token ring port.

This from your latest post states two *ports* but it may be that you mean
two *plugs*. You don't actually need a second port in order to share a single
port for both IP and SNA. You just need to get to grips with OSA/SF - in case
you have managed to avoid it so far.

Incidentally, I was on a consultancy when I earned my OSA and OSA/SF spurs
and, being a conscientious consultant, I documented everything and I've held
onto the documents. Some might argue that the documents belong to the
customer who was paying me at the time and so might challenge my
conscience!

Presumably you are retaining the 3174 and its attached devices pending
the "reengineering" of the application(s) which rely on them for the business.

If the 3174 also through sheer decrepitude for example needs a one-for-one
replacement, your 3174 and 3270 devices could be replaced by workstations
running Windows and Personal Communications software.

I can see that when the "migration" started "migration off the mainframe" was
on every suit's coffee table but I wonder if the suit responsible or his or her
successors - the ones lined up by the original suit to take the blame -
has/have taken a recent look at the glossy magazines on the coffee table and
seen that "migration off the mainframe" is not now so fashionable. The trouble
with fashion is that it can be so last year - or last decade - and especially
last century!

Chris Mason

[1] I'm unclear about exactly when "TCP/IP for MVS" and VTAM combined to
form z/OS Communications Server. It may have followed OS/390 V1R3. It
actually doesn't change any of what I am proposing.

[2] http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/bkserv/r1pdf/#osasf

[3] This should be "or" according to the snippet I found but you don't know
that from just looking at it and "hope springs eternal ..."

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 01:37:49 -0500, Michael Saraco <michael.sar...@baer-