>Because I believe that some reactionary shops don't like z/OS
>UNIX System Services and I'm considering pandering to them.

It's not a question if you (sorry, I mean they) like it or not.
If they run z/OS, they have got UNIX. They'd better be prepared
for the next update of one of their IBM or vendor software
product. It might become a UNIX application all over a sudden.

We're about to upgrade a vendor software and this now requires
to be run under the Java VM (for good reasons; I don't want to
go into details here).

>... complain bitterly about "idiot designers" who ...
Only time will tell who has been an idiot ;-)

>Fully using UNIX would make this much easier to write.

Having a long term MVS background myself, I still think you
would be better off the UNIX way. Even if your server is
run from a PDS(E), will all your users need to have UNIX
credentials (UID/GID), so in fact you can't hide doing UNIX
stuff.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse