Really getting complicated!

> If you go down the "START" command route and your method of
> assigning ownership to the created address space is a
> parameter on the START command - what is to stop any bozo who
> has opercmd authority from spoofing a userid on to one of
> your address spaces ?

Not a parm on the START command. The "listener" will establish a TCP connection
to the "client". After it does the START, the "listener" would do a GIVESOCKET.
The started task would then do a TAKESOCKET. The desktop "client" would then
send the RACF id / password over the socket. The started task would then use
BPX1SEC or IRRSIA00 to "logon" using the supplied userid/password. If this
works (good user/password), the STC sends a message to the "client" that the
connection is complete. The "client" on the desktop then "daemonizes" itself to
detach from the shell, retaining the socket to the STC. This "daemon" is then
used as a "relay" for other commands in order to talk to the z/OS STC. But, now
that I think about what happens in CICS, if I don't do the equivalent of a
ENVIR=DELETE before terminating the STC, I won't get the RACF SMF record that I
would like. <rats/>

> There is something that makes me uneasy about an address
> space that spawns other address spaces in the fashion that
> you describe - maybe I am concerned about ASVT slot shortages
> if the spawn process gets into trouble or any x-memory coding
> errors that could mark these ASIDs as non-reusable.

The started task(s) involved do not use x-memory coding. They don't talk to
each other after the START is done at all. They are totally independant. And
they would be subject to a z/OS CANCEL command.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell