On 14 Apr 2010 12:13:53 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 16:01:52 -0300 Clark Morris <cfmpub...@ns.sympatico.ca>
>wrote:
>
>:>Also given the problem found with SMP/E, I would hope that IBM and
>:>other vendors are checking to see if there are similar exposures in
>:>other utilities and services.
>
>Only possible if IBM tells what the exposure is.

Making the drastic assumption that the various groups WITHIN IBM can
communicate on the exposure, then IBM can check to see if there are
similar exposures in other functions.

In terms of the third party vendor, it gets to be tricky.  I would
assume that at least CA would have to be made aware of the type of
exposure.  Who is responsible if a similar hole in Vendor x system
type software is exploited because of a presumed underlying hole in
IBM software and a SOX, data compromise or other bad event occurs?  If
I understand this thing correctly, the effect of this APAR is to
restrict the exploitation of this hole, intentionally or
inadvertently, to authorized people.  That might mean we should
restrict SMP access so as to exclude people who have a talent for
finding flaws without looking for them.