On 21 Apr 2010 07:35:48 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>John,
>
>That WikiPedia article also states that DMSII was created by Burroughs
>(later UniSys) as a database to run on its processors.  Does that mean
>they are still running UniSys machines.  If so they have problems over
>and above COBOL "not being taught".  It sounds like a typical government
>non-upgrade environment.  Now they are caught in the dark ages and
>instead of upgrading to modern DB2 and COBOL on proper processors they
>are probably going to "throw out the baby with the bath water" and get
>OMG - WINDOWS.

The intelligent upgrade would be to a current Unisys offering which
has a migration path from the existing system if disruption is to be
avoided.  Another alternative would be to consolidate on a platform
already understood by the agency.  I suspect that moving to COBOL and
DB2 on z could be more painful and costly than a number of other
alternatives.