Agreed;  the entire hysteria over the loss of mainframe and COBOL
skills is a red herring.   The notion that there is a shortage of
COBOL skills is especially silly.   The real problem is that these
government agencies (and many businesses) have done a bad job of
managing and maintaining their legacy systems.   Its a simple thing to
find or train someone in COBOL - but try to teach them the business
domain or the knowledge of how these huge legacy systems work - that
is the real issue.   As programmers with 40 years of experience on
these systems retire or are "downsized", does anyone believe that
COBOL skills are the real loss?  Please...its much easier for them to
blame their problems on COBOL than to admit that they have done a
crappy job managing their legacy assets.   At each step in maintenance
it is always easier to hack something together rather than to clean
things up with new changes and requirements, but eventually there is a
price to pay.

Kirk Wolf
Dovetailed Technologies