On 28 Apr 2010 12:18:47 -0700, john_w_gilm...@msn.com (john gilmore)
wrote:

>My own experience of these applications has been different.  Most do "work",
>in the sense that they get some useful processing done; but this is the only
>favorable thing that it occurs to me to say about them:
>
>o In most shops more resources are devoted to routine, trivial maintenance,
>accomplished ad hoc, than to either new-system development or significant
>system extensions;

In my experience, mainframe shops have a much higher percentage of IS
staff working on actual application programming than do the newer OO
shops.    The new paradigm has DBAs, security people, communications
experts, and people implementing packages from vendors.    Application
programming is frowned upon because that makes migrating packages into
a nightmare.

The company needs to adjust to the software.