>>BTW: 27998 is *sometimes* optimal blksize. It depends on other dataset
>>parameters.
>
> Sometimes?
> When is it not?
> The resource implications of 'large' block sizes have disappeared, except for
> space usage.
> There are some old utilities that still require 'strange' block sizes, but I
> cannot see one bad usage of 27998, especially in Batch/TSO, as long as there
> is no hard-coded one in the programme using the dataset.

For some fixed length records, 27998 (or half-track) would not be the
most efficient use of the track..

Suppose a record length of 800... at half track you'd only get 68
records on a track, 2 blocks of 27200.

But if you instead used 3 blocks per track then you'd get 69 records
per track, 3 blocks of 18400.