From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Sam Siegel
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 6:07 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: recommended way to send large files from Z/os to WIN and backward

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Matan Cohen <matancohen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> forget about the xmit problem.
> we are trying to use an ftp client on z/os
> using a job to get datasets larger than 4 GB from a windows server after we
> succesfully send the Datasets to the windows FTP server .
> when trying to get the Datasets back to the Mainframe we get the follow
> message :
> 553 Cannot send file larger than 4 gigabytes.
> we are trying to understand if the problem is cause from the windows side.
> we do use an SMS Data class so the Datasets will be a multivolume.
>
> assuming this will work we will want to send on a weekly base an estimate of
> 700GB in Datasets between 2-27GB from the z/os to an windows server .
> the data sets which was send should be ready to send  back in case of a
> disaster.

Hi Matan,

Here is a link to the FTP protocol specification:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc959.html

553 is broken down as follows:

5yz   Permanent Negative Completion reply

x5z File system - These replies indicate the status of the Server file
system vis-a-vis the requested transfer or other file system action.

This appears to be return code issued by the FTP server (appears to be
windows from your description).

The protocol specification provides additional details.

You may need to investigate a different FTP server for the windows machine.

Regards,

Sam