On Wed, 5 May 2010 17:20:10 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>Am I correct in my reading between the lines that if one is to process a
>z/OS directory as though it were a PDS(E) using BPAM DCB, FIND, etc. then
>the simulated member name - the file name - must be no more than eight
>characters?
>
>Must be upper case?
>What about names containing a period? No good? Must be no more than eight
>characters total? Or . ?

It might be possible that BLDL or FIND issued from an assembler
program might be more lenient.  BPXWDYN probably won't allow
it to be allocated; I wouldn't care to guess whether the
restriction is enforced in BPXWDYN, ALLOCATE, or both.

I used to have an API to BLDL and STOW that performed no
enforcement on the member name; any 64 bits worked.  I don't
believe it should be the business of an API to enforce syntactic
restrictions not in the underlying system service.

>Is there any more information on this specific topic other than "Reading
>UNIX Files Using BPAM" in "DFSMS Using Data Sets"?
>
>Yes, I could run experiments, but thought it made more sense to tap the
>collected wisdom of this august crowd.

If you're reduced to this, I hope you share the result.

-- gil