>going back decades it was possible to mangle the member name and do a STOW
to save an "old" member under the mangled name using the old TTR.

We did that with a homegrown change manglement system in the early 1980's.

>You just can't use those names in JCL.
>It would take an experiment to see if LOAD and LINK would allow them.

IIRC, you could.
We had a convoluted procedure to run the munged backup with a different
programme, a parm and a minor JCL change.

But, I was a rookie at the time, and it wasn't my area of responsibility.
I only found out because I was on the post-mortem team, and the issue came up
as part of the root cause.

Details become hazy after the passage of time.

OFF TOPIC Observation:

In the past 30 years, I've noticed that post mortems haven't changed.
They're still fingerpointing & blamestorms first, problem solving and
prevention second.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!