-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 7:15 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Member name format for z/OS directory as simulated PDS?

On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:32:10 -0400, Thompson, Steve wrote:

>>JCL doesn't restrict the characters allowed in a DSNAME, as long as
>>the DSNAME is quoted. But if it's quoted, it can't be catalogued.
>>
>Strange rule; I wonder what motivated it?
>
>DOS to MVS migrations would be my guess. When I'm doing one, I make use
of this.

I believe you're saying you quote the data set name to
prevent it's being catalogued.  How is this useful?
Is it the only way (or easiest) to prevent cataloguing?
<SNIP>

I wasn't addressing the CATALOG issue. Back in the '80s I was actually
cataloging VSE data sets in the MVS Catalog (a USER CAT for this
purpose). Since I have not run many migrations since about 1997 (as
opposed to being involved in the back side cleaning up), I don't know if
it can still be done (long qualifiers, lowercase, etc.). OMVS came along
since then and I really haven't experimented too much with this.

And because of the "DOS" Contamination bit, normally one sets aside 1-8
(I've never seen more than 8) units that are shared between the two
systems. If you don't limit those volumes and they get "actively used"
by both systems (as opposed to specific manual managed file processing),
MVS goes nuts recovering the free space DSCB(s) for those volume's VTOCs
(which happens every time MVS needs to read a contaminated VTOC to get
space).

Regards,
Steve Thompson