On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:36:23 -0500, Patrick Lyon <ptl...@midamerican.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:46:01 -0500, Walt Farrell <wfarr...@us.ibm.com>
>wrote:
>
>>What is important is that you understand that you are at risk if you do not
>>carefully control who can run those SMP/E functions, and that your users
>who
>>can run those functions must be very trusted users.  And that's why we have
>>the new APAR IO12263.
>>

>I might point out for those who have not applied this enhancement, that the
>examples within APAR IO12263 are not complete.  Below is what they indicate
>are protected in the APAR:
>
><quote>
>These functions, and the corresponding SAF FACILITY class
>resources that SMP/E checks, are as follows:
>
>  Function:        Resource name:
>  RECEIVE command  GIM.CMD.RECEIVE
>  APPLY command    GIM.CMD.APPLY
>  ACCEPT command   GIM.CMD.ACCEPT
>  RESTORE command  GIM.CMD.RESTORE
>  REJECT command   GIM.CMD.REJECT
>  LINK command     GIM.CMD.LINK
>  CLEANUP command  GIM.CMD.CLEANUP
>  Program GIMZIP   GIM.PGM.GIMZIP
>  Program GIMUNZIP GIM.PGM.GIMUNZIP
>  Program GIMIAP   GIM.PGM.GIMIAP
></quote>
>
>SET and REPORT also need command profiles, even though they were
>indicated earlier in the APAR.  I am sure there are others that I have not
>found yet.  From earlier in the APAR:
>
><quote>
>The functions being controlled are all the SMP/E commands processed by
>program GIMSMP (for example, SET, RECEIVE, APPLY, ACCEPT
>UCLIN, LIST, REPORT, etc.), the GIMZIP and GIMUNZIP
>service routines, and the GIMIAP copy utility invocation
>program.
></quote>
>
>Just a heads up that those planning on applying this enhancement, that more
>will be needed.

Not if you define only 1 profile as GIM.*.  I suspect that will suffice for
at least 95% of the shops out there.  We've already discussed the
unlikelihood of shops desiring to do something more granular like
giving a certain set of users RECEIVE only (even though it could be done).

Mark
mailto:mzel...@flash.net