FTP and systems PING question.

Environment:

We have Z9 J01 with one processor with three LPARS, production, test and tech,
all three shares one OSA adapter.  The systems are running z/OS 1.9.
Looking at my monitor's, the production lpar is only 29.5% busy while the test
lpar is 2.2% the tech lpar does not come into play since it my sand box.  IO
and paging are not very heavy at the time.

I talked with network personnel and the see not issues on the network at the
time failure.

Problem:

We have six UNIX boxes that all issue a ping command to the mainframe at the
same time before starting the FTP process. Five pings are directed to the
production LPAR and one box is directed to the test LPAR. The all five ping's
failed pointing to the production side but the test completed successfully. I
don't see any TCPIP errors on either LPAR. I can not explain the difference
between the two LPARS why one works and  the other one fails.

We currently do this process about 1500 times a day if not more. The process
works fine most of the time but every once in a while it fails.
Not sure where to look for the problem the monitors and logs don't show
anything that I can see.

Any help would be appreciated.

Frank W Sabo Jr.
SR. Systems Administrator