Hal

PING is an "application" which uses IP packets in order to transport ICMP Echo
and Echo reply packets. It has the same reliability as IP itself - that is, by
no
means as solid as TCP.

PING is ***not*** handled by the adapter. There ***does*** need to be an
active operating system - ***and*** - active IP software such as the IP
component of z/OS Communications Server.

You may have in mind the handling of 802.2 or NetBIOS TEST frames. The
commands which are set up to support sending and receiving the TEST frame
get labelled as some sort of "PING" because they behave a bit like the ICMP
PING. OS2PING for example was/is one such command for the OS/2
environment.

Your suggestions regarding examining the network have some merit - a pun
discovered only after the words had been conceived I hasten to say!
However, as I suggested, OSA statistics and ICMP statistics also need to be
examined to try to compose a more complete picture.

Chris Mason

On Thu, 13 May 2010 15:33:47 -0500, Hal Merritt
<hmerr...@jackhenry.com> wrote:

>IIRC, PING is answered by the adapter. There does not need to be an active
operating system, so that points to the network. What does a TRACERTE from
the host to each server show? Are all the paths (hops) the same? How about
a TRACERTE from each server to the host? Do the failure occur at specific
times, such as when a large FTP is in progress?

>Intermittent failures may suggest exhaustion of a key network resource.
Have your network folks look at dropped packet counts. Don't know if it
applies in this scenario, but network folks love to constrain ports. Could be
you are running out.

>Is there a server in the path?

Behalf Of Sabo, Frank
>Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:49 PM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: FTP and systems PING question.
>
>FTP and systems PING question.
>
>Environment:
>
>We have Z9 J01 with one processor with three LPARS, production, test and
tech, all three shares one OSA adapter.  The systems are running z/OS 1.9.
>Looking at my monitor's, the production lpar is only 29.5% busy while the
test lpar is 2.2% the tech lpar does not come into play since it my sand box.
IO and paging are not very heavy at the time.

>I talked with network personnel and the see not issues on the network at
the time failure.

>Problem:
>
>We have six UNIX boxes that all issue a ping command to the mainframe at
the same time before starting the FTP process. Five pings are directed to the
production LPAR and one box is directed to the test LPAR. The all five ping's
failed pointing to the production side but the test completed successfully. I
don't see any TCPIP errors on either LPAR. I can not explain the difference
between the two LPARS why one works and  the other one fails.

>We currently do this process about 1500 times a day if not more. The
process works fine most of the time but every once in a while it fails.