As a general statement (IPL is primarily I/O-bound), I agree, especially
when considering only z/OS. But over time that's probably becoming less
true. For example, WebSphere Application Server (on any platform) has
certain CPU demands (which can include zAAPs) to get going, especially with
certain applications, although there's been quite a bit of progress on that
front recently.

It's probably also worth pointing out that many shops have significantly
reduced the frequency of IPLs, and in particular they've designed their
overall environment to avoid IPLs when there could be user demands pending.
I'm referring in particular to such things as a "warm standby" production
LPAR, Parallel Sysplex, and GDPS, as examples. For example, having an LPAR
on warm standby at a remote site on a BC machine (typically A01 capacity
plus CBU) is a very popular (and affordable) choice among shops that don't
have GDPS. IPL time doesn't factor into the recovery time in that
particular design.

- - - - -
Timothy Sipples
Resident Architect (Based in Singapore)
STG Value Creation and Complex Deals Team
IBM Growth Markets
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com