Wow, what a lot of misses.

> *nix humor. This is after all an environment with a utility
> called grep and where processes fork in order to make children.

No Charles, Gerhard is MVS through and through. Nothing
to do with Unix. You're right about the SEA = C though.

> Well, it's certainly memorable. Not sure I understand
> where it comes from -- it looks like an acronym, but for what?

No Zman, not an acronym. It had to fit into a 6-character
volser though, being MVS.

On Mon, 24 May 2010 21:25:46 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil
<gerh...@valley.net> wrote:

>On 5/24/2010 8:38 PM, zMan wrote:
>> Well, it's certainly memorable. Not sure I understand where it comes from --
>> it looks like an acronym, but for what?
>
>Paul asked me to suggest something,

No, it was unsolicited:

If I were seriously planning on writing lots of c programs, I
would create a new pack (e.g, SEASIK <g>), allocate a user
catalog on it, put the GCC and PDPCLIB stuff on there, add some
user source libraries, and keep it separate and easy to back up.

In fact, I would have to say that I explicitly turned down
your suggestion:

> > The actual packaging of the SEASIK disk can be
> > decided later. It'll probably just be a normal
> > Hercules image to start with, but may in the
> > future be DFDSS. Either way, I think 3390s
> > should be the way ahead. The universal blocksize
> > remains so that they can be copied off if required.
>
> I hope you'll think long and hard about the disk name - I meant
> SEASIK to be an obvious joke, reflecting my opinion on
> unreadable languages <g>

I know it was a joke, but I honestly don't think I
could come up with something better than that. And
it's cool having both sides of the story out there.
So, you let me put C on MVS, and I'll agree to
advertise the fact that this is a sick thing to do,
even if I don't personally agree. :-)

So long as the things I want to achieve are done, I
don't mind if I have to wear a Daffy Duck costume
while doing them. :-)

BFN.  Paul.

P.S. And yes, I really am so sad that I spent more than
an hour trying to find the message when both gmane
and Yahoo search failed to pick up the oldest
reference, despite the fact that that means I'm going
to sleep at 2am, when I know I have a meeting at 7am.