There's good news and bad news <g>

I've been trying to restore SEASIK since Friday, with no luck.

1) There is a design error in DSSREST. When I added the RDW code, I wrote the code so it only works when the block size is equal to the sum of the lengths of all RDWs (+4 if there is a BDW). When I use IND$FILE to restore, I get block boundaries unrelated to the RDW sizes. I started to fix this, but the code got more and more complicated, and failed after processing three thousand blocks. I decided to redo Scott's code to eliminate one intermediate buffer, and just use the input buffer directly. That fails on the second block, and I ran out of time. But once it works it will be faster than the old version. I also fixed some spelling errors (leng for length).

2) If you weren't such a sadist, I could have had this restored on Friday. a) Use DSSDUMP to create an AWS or HET tape. b) zip it. c) ftp or upload to wherever. d) user runs DSSREST against the tape file and gets all the files. None of this IDCAMS and special utility crap. For a real mainframe, there is an AWS conversion utility to create a real tape between steps c) and d).

3) I have a debug routine that I recently changed to make it immune to some requests in error (e.g., dump a variable in invalid memory). Unfortunately, it's only creating output erratically, so I have something else to work on. But I hope to have it and DSSREST fixed by the end of the week (meetings the next four days, and shopping for vacation).

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT