________________________________
From: Matthew Stitt <mathwst...@bellsouth.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Fri, May 28, 2010 4:50:14 PM
Subject: Re: Staffing Levels for zServer Environments

Sometimes I cringe at this topic.  Here is my take:

It depends.

What is the historical staffing level?

What is the skill level of the staff?

What is size of the work load to be performed?

How comfortable is management with the size of the staff and their load?

I know of companies with good sized installations and a very small staff,
sometimes only one technical person for the mainframe environment.
Conversely I know companies with just the opposite on both ends (small
installation and large staff).

Matthew:

 Of course you are correct but let us add this 2 qualifying statements as well.

1. How many OEM products does the place has.

2. How many mods to the OS are there?

3. How many online systems are there?

There is no one for one example but these numbers have to be worked out and are
at best guesses as the more complex the system is the more staffing is needed.

Number 2 number should be low/none but for some reason shops still modify Z/OS.