Mark Zelden wrote:
You can go back to past posts of mine and see... but my client has been
using Endevor controlled PDSEs for production for many years and we
haven't had any problems. This includes CICS DFHRPL libraries, batch production JCL and PROCLIBs that were statically defined to JES2 in the
past and have been dynamically defined since z/OS 1.4 (they migrated
from OS/390 2.10 directly to z/OS 1.4).   And this is a large production
environment.   We even have a small monoplex LPAR where IGDSMSxx
is set to have the default PO as PDSE (so even ISPF "work" data sets and
profile data sets get created as PDSE, against IBM's recommendations).

We have been using PDSE almost exclusively for at least a decade. We also specify DSNTYPE(LIBRARY) in IGDSMSxx and have done so for many years. There are very few old-style PDS libraries here--almost all of them are on SYSRES.

This is the worst experience I can recall us ever having with PDSE. In general, I recommend them highly.

Being a software developer myself, my issue here is not that the software has a bug. Any time you improve a product, there is always that exposure. And, this bug was already discovered and solved before I experienced it.

The purpose of my post was to warn my friends on IBM-MAIN about this problem so they can avoid some pain -- AND -- to express my humble opinion that this APAR/PTF be marked HIPER.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc