<snips>

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 09:05:51 -0500, Hal Merritt <hmerr...@jackhenry.com> wrote:

>My memories are rusty, but I'll try. See below. Even if I'm wrong, I might jog
>some
(better) brain bones :-)

Mike Ross
>Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 9:00 PM
>To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>Subject: Multiprise 3000 - fatal SE problems - help please!

>2. I'm aware of activation profiles - reset profiles, load profiles
>etc. What exactly IS 'activation' with respect to the MP3000 CPC? Is
>it correct and normal for the SE to act as if the CPC is powered-off
>until a reset profile has been run successfully?

the profile to understand how to set up the CPC just like other CPU's. Memory
allocation,
LPARs, I/O subsystem, etc. I seem to remember loading the IOCDS as source via
the
floppy and running an assembler to create the initial IOCDS. That defined the
LPARs,
channels, etc.

>3. Restoring from two different tapes 2 years different in age
>produces identical results - no trace of the default activation
>profiles, and errors which make it impossible to edit activation
>profiles. This can't be coincidence, there has to be a massive clue
>there?

That turns out not to be the case; the IOCDS stuff is in a different part of
the SE, and that
is all present and correct. There are the usual IOCDS present... single image,
multiple
LPARs, DIAGNOSE etc.  The problem is *activation profiles*, specifically reset
profiles,
not IOCDS; if I understand correctly the load profile invokes the IOCDS.

>6. I can't find it documented anywhere, but is there a procedure to
>restore the system to a blank default as-shipped factory configuration
>*without* any customer data? Just the default IBM profiles etc.? There
>must be such a procedure, but maybe it was only used internally within
>IBM?

configure the DASD, and somehow supply an operating system. I was not involved
in that
initial op sys step.

Sure - but it absolutely should have the default IBM-supplied activation
profiles, and/or
several customer-defined activation profiles, and it doesn't - or they're
'hidden' somehow.
I can't supply an activation profile as I get a LIC exception when I try to use
the activation
profile editor!

Mike