Folks,

I worked with Harry on the phone on this a bit tonight.

It appears it may well be a hardware problem. I finally gathered my courage,
trusted IBM
engineering, and powered-up the system *with the CPC module completely removed*

The symptoms - what worked, and what didn't, on the SE - with the CPC removed
were
*exactly the same* as when the CPC was installed!

It's clear that for some reason either the CPC isn't getting powered-on, or the
OS/2 side
*thinks* it isn't powered on. Or the SE is totally unable to communicate with
the CPC. I
suspect the CPC isn't powering-on; it doesn't even get warm.

Harry recalls a similar situation on his MP3000, where a failure to POR was
traced to the
RS422 cable from the OCAs (AKA 'power supplies'!) being disconnected from the
appropriate card on the PCI bus.

So I'm concentrating my investigations on this area. The hardware console does
report a
'power problem' each and every time the machine is started - but the FRU
reported as
causing the error is the 4mm DAT! I can't see how that can be to blame.

I ask again: has anyone on the list seen similar symptoms? Failure to POR or
CPC
appearing powered off, on a MP3000. I could use some help here!

Thanks

Mike

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:13:30 -0400, Harry Wahl <harry_w...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Mike,
>

>Here is my opinion in the form of a WAG (Wild Ass Guess):
>

>You're barking up the wrong tree. Based on what you describe, your software is
>fine;
the SBC that runs OS/2 is running; your CPC is working; so I don't think this
is an SE
issue at all.

>You don't need an activation profile to use the machine, it's more of a
>convenience. You
do need to be able to do a POR, however. After that you can just IPL manually.
If the CPC
wasn't working you would be reading about it in your hardware log. What you
describe is
the SE is unable to issue control commands to the CPC and receive returned
information.

>What seems to be missing is control signalling between the SE and the CPC. The
>SE and
the CPC are working and communicating, but control signalling is DOA.

>You probably have a missing, loose or removed signal cable. Some cables inside
>IBM
mainframes are not what they seem (actually most), IBM sometimes uses
connectors that
are common in PCs for entirely different purposes. Do not assume, based on
physical
form factor, that you know what a cable or connector is used for.

>I'm a design engineer, not a CE so I don't know what cable it would be, but
>somewhere
along the backplane where the OS/2 SBC is seated there should be a cable coming
from
another card on the same backplane that runs to the part of the frame where the
CPC
board is. That cable is probably your problem.

>If the machine was just moved, the cable may have just come loose.
>

>Harry
>

>> Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 12:28:12 -0500
>> From: hmerr...@jackhenry.com
>> Subject: Re: Multiprise 3000 - fatal SE problems - help please!
>> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
>>
>> Try resetting service mode and log in as sysprog. There are some things a CE
>> is not
supposed to do.

Michael Ross