On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 10:48:18 -0400, Gerhard Postpischil
<gerh...@valley.net> wrote:

>On 6/9/2010 5:17 AM, Paul Edwards wrote:
>> Don't look at me. IBM are the ones who created ftp
>> with the RDW option, and I'm not the only user of that.
>
>You missed one crucial step - you zip the AWS file, and then ftp
>that.

No, you missed the fact that IBM created a you-beaut
ftp with RDW option, specifically for transporting binary
VB files, which happens to be the natural form of the
data itself (ie before any packaging like zip or XMIT
etc is done).

> No worry about record format or boundaries,

The worry has been transferred into a fairly custom
tape-packaging facility.  Which, surprise surprise,
IBM also doesn't provide a standard utility for on the
MVS side.

But, at least IBM, via their ftp with RDW option, provides
something for one leg of the journey.  Hopefully now that
they've gone that far, they'll realise there's another leg
that isn't currently covered, hence the minimalist custom
routine requirement (available from two different people,
at least, and very simple to write regardless).  You don't
need to learn about the AWS tape format in order to
write it.

> and a
>"universal" unzip is available on just about every PC, Mac, and
>other workstation these days.

That much isn't a problem.

>> The only source code that is actually mine, is this one:
>
>Sorry - if you distribute it, you own it <G>  My problem is that
>I have online displays to examine files, with scrolling,
>updating, etc. that are geared to 80 bytes lines; to support VB
>I'd need a complete rewrite, plus horizontal scrolling (perhaps
>I'll steal Browse from ETPS?).

Just use COPYFILE to copy from VB into FB80 before
displaying.  It will silently truncate any long lines.

>While you may consider 3350s dinosaurs or only fit for them,
>that perfectly describes the Hercules/MVS crowd.

Very few of them are running without 3390 support.

There are more people who will struggle to find a 3350
to restore to.

>And PDPCLIB is
>only one out of eight (or whatever), so the next one will be
>one-eighth in 3390 size <g>

Pardon?

>BTW, I downloaded Jay's SYSCPK distribution, again with a few
>pains. His also lacks decent documentation, but at least some is
>on his site. Have you considered, at a minimum, adding a single
>PDS with the appropriate man members for each program?

With products like SED etc, I only patched them to work
on MVS, so am mainly focussed on producing executables.

The original archive is available, and contains man pages
in whatever format the (e.g.) Unix people decided to put
them in, along with examples, known bugs, change logs
or whatever. Often these people have made the
documentation available on the web too.

And there are mailing lists to ask questions about the
product, and bug submission sites, and a bug report
database.

So it wasn't really my intention to get involved in any
of that. I do provide documentation just pointing back
to the archive that was used, and from there, you can
decide what to do.  I've never even read it myself.
I either learnt from examples from Unix shell scripts,
or type in "sed" without parameters to see the usage
(ie EXEC PGM=SED,PARM='') or occasionally I do a
search of the internet, usually looking for questions
from humans, ie "how do I make sed look for a real
period instead of treating it as a character
substitution".

Having said that, if you want to wade through the
existing documentation and point to something
specific you want to appear in a specific dataset
of specific RECFM on MVS, I can add that in.  E.g.
do you want the sed\doc\sed.1 added to
SED.JCL(SED)?  Looks like it will fit without truncation.
It probably won't look very nice without being filtered
through a "man" program though.  Is there one of
those on MVS or you just want to read the raw file?

>I also need to look at BWBASIC - it's not using PDPCLIB, and I

Where on earth did you get the idea that it wasn't using
PDPCLIB from?

There is one unusual thing about BWBASIC though.  The
author was happy to incorporate all the MVS changes
into the official distribution, and made me a developer
on the sourceforge project.

>need to see how usable their MVS interface is (same problems
>with PDS and DCB support).

Why am I not surprised you have the same problems?  :-)

Unless ...

You mean you're using an old version of BWBASIC that
doesn't have the latest PDPCLIB changes?

The restore of SEASIK didn't give you a new version?
I didn't package the new version properly?

>Have you looked at AFOX00? I noticed you posted the IFOX source
>- does that version match our system?

I thought it did when I posted it, but now that I'm doing
disassemblies, I have found that it doesn't.

However, it's very close, and as of today I have just got
IFOX41 & IFOX42 verified, and built with ASMANY and
tested and working.  A bit of drama getting it tested
though. I noticed that sys2.linklib was further up in
the linklist than sys1.linklib so decided to target
sys2.linklib instead of attempting to go directly to
sys1.linklib.

Unfortunately my new module wasn't picked up. Not
even copying all the IFOX modules across was good
enough.  I had to use a STEPLIB to be able to test it.

I also tried running DBSTOP in case that was
interfering, but it doesn't seem to have changed
anything.  I even tried a DBSTOP and DBSTART.

I'm even executing IFOX00 directly, not via an alias.

Anyway, I decided to throw in the towel, make a
backup of sys1.linklib, and start changing sys1.linklib
directly, after having proven the steplib was working.

>If it does, I'll
>integrate the AFOX changes (when an optional DD is present, it
>includes on SYSPRINT a list of libraries and macro names, making
>it easier to check that all needed macros are present before
>shipping something).  Then I'll start on DISASM again as soon as
>I'm sick of not working on it <g>

Cool. I've also just reached the point of being able to package
up my MVS source code dev environment, which I'll be
releasing (as beta) shortly, so you can see the various
disasm bugs more easily.  :-)

BFN.  Paul.

P.S. For others - that thing about grasshoppers was a joke -
I know that Gerhard has been programming on MVS a lot
longer than me.