Hi,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I was at a client site, who strangely
enough, was also converting from 1.7 to 1.11.  I don't normally have (or
want) to go to a site to do the upgrade, but in this case there were some
extenuating circumstances that made it logical to be there in person.  The
location wasn't a hardship in any way, but in this particular case not only
were they upgrading the OS, but the hardware (computer/DASD/TAPES, etc) was
changed, and the computer center site itself was moved, so a lot of
pre-planning had to be done to make sure it all came off without a hitch.
In general, I don't normally suggest clients migrate and move at the same
time, but as I said, this was a VERY special case.  Anyway, it was a
non-event.  The total outage for the users was about 5 seconds and even that
"could" have been avoided, which was good for the client, but I did have to
deal with IBM and another hardware vendor in person,  (I'm friendlier via
email with hardware people, but sometimes they just didn't listen or head
the original email "suggestions"), but they came around fairly quickly.

Depending on your installed software and the hardware you are using, the
conversion can be VERY simple or can have a couple small snags, but nothing
that you won't hit even if you did it the "IBM" supported way (i.e. two
jumps).

You don't have to worry about sharing dasd (if you don't have GRS or MIM
then be VERY careful and control it completely).  You can (and should) share
catalogs, and you can use the same RACF database.  You can share the spool,
but I ALWAYS advise against it, instead use NJE if you need (near) instant
access, or offload if you don't.  If you are currently in a plex and are
thinking about migrating the plex as a single unit you can forget about it
right now, as that isn't a good idea.  How you handle a plex is a bit too
complicated to discuss here (especially when it might not even apply), but
if you are currently running a plex, then this will be a good chance for you
to get some skills in generating a new one, (and you can correct old issues
at the same time).  You didn't say if you were running CICS, IMS, DB/2 or
some other database, but they too may need to be addressed, depending on
where you are starting and stopping with respect to those subsystems.

There are also a lot of new features that you can take advantage of
(depending on your hardware), but in some cases you have to weigh the
advantages of a quick conversion with the advantages of some of the new
features and decide if including them in your conversion is a good idea or
not.

You can contact me offline if you have questions or want to talk about the
specifics of your site, (or you can post them here if you really want to,
but I wouldn't normally suggest that).

Brian Westerman