-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2010 12:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Geographic separation of primary and backup/DR sites

The thing that gets me about our DR, is that all of our tapes are at
Iron Mountain. We are in N. Richland Hills, TX and our tapes are in
Lewisville, TX which is the same geographical location (infrastructure).
So if we are physically destroyed (we're close to DFW airport), then our
tapes may well be in a secure area, but cannot necessarily be loaded
onto a plane to go to our DR site in Philly. We even duplex so that if
"a plane goes down" we can use the duplex. But it all depends on the
tapes being able to be shipped.
<SNIP>

Think outside the box. There are MANY airports around, besides Addison,
Denton, and Sherman. All of the ones I've named can handle large
turbo-props (think C130 class) or jets (think 727/737 class). And I
would imagine the air freight operators have contingency plans to use
such.

Regards,
Steve Thompson