-------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------------
I don't even know how to subset this message to formulate a response. So, I'm replying intact.

But, my point is, while the percentage may not believed, how many users write access methods, terminal handlers, abend handlers, DB2 optimisers, ENQ-Handlers, operator commands, interupt handlers, message passers, or any other system function.
In college I took a 30-wk course that required many of those things. DB2 didn't exist then, but I had to write message-switching programs for TCAM, operator commands, etc. and the final exam was a complete system that could load and run an object deck fed in via 2540. The "system" (The "SELF" system, for "Semi Efficient Little Fiasco") had to handle I/O, SVC and Program interrupts and take appropriate action. I even had 12 System-Defined SVC's. Granted, that probably makes me an exception to the "average user", but at the time I thought it was just part of becoming a "System Programmer", to bolster my understanding of the hardware/software interactions of the day. (1972)

Consider: how many "Users" are actully "Programmers" ??

Rick