that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

joa...@swbell.net (John McKown) writes:
> I think that there is a difference between having a "normal" (ain't no
> such beastie) application programmer and an "old style" sysprog. I think
> sysprogs need HLASM. I am not convinced that it is necessary for
> applications people to really know HLASM or even z architecture. Today's
> COBOL is much better than in the past. I can see needing the speed of
> assembler in "embedded" type applications. But that is not z/OS's forte.
> Commercial programming and COBOL go together like pancakes and maple
> syrup. But other languages are coming up for the "webified" world. I
> like PHP. PHP using DB2 with perhaps some COBOL stored programs is, IMO,
> likely one of the best ways to talk via the web. But others may
> reasonable disagree.

there was the period in the 90s ... when various parts of the financial
industry spent billions on re-engineering for "straight through
processing" as part of eliminating the overnight batch window. there
were spectacular failures ... tainting "re-engineering" efforts for
years to come. they tended to use "new" technologies that were known to
have some increased overhead (compared to the batch cobol) ... but thot
it could be compensated for by using parallelism with large numbers of
"killer micros". the problem was that there was lots of hand-waving
about the increased overhead ... but not actually quantified. when the
efforts started to be deployed and the factor turned out to be one
hundred times ... the efforts went down in flames. the factor of one
hundred ... totally swamping any offsetting benefits of using large
number of "killer micros".

recently there have been some new re-engineering with approaches that
use high-level specification that is translated into lots of SQL. rather
than relying on large number of application programmers, each trying to
invent their own optimized parallelism methodology ... it relies on the
significant parallelism optimization investments that have gone into
major RDBMS.

Part of this plays out in how much investment different vendors are
pouring into RDBMS parallelism ... aka recent item

Larry Ellison's IBM-Slayer Is Oracle Exadata Machine
http://www.informationweek.com/news/global-cio/interviews/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=225701468

and from last year

DB2 announces technology that trumps Oracle RAC and Exadata
http://freedb2.com/2009/10/10/for-databases-size-does-matter/
IBM pureScale Technology Redefines Transaction Processing Economics.
New DB2 Feature Sets the Bar for System Performance on More than
100 IBM Power Systems
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28593.wss

mentioned in these posts:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#43 From The Annals of Release No
Software Before Its Time
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009p.html#46 From The Annals of Release No
Software Before Its Time

... and past posts mentioning original relational/SQL System/R
implementation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#systemr

other posts in other parts of this thread:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010j.html#81 Percentage of code executed that is
user written was Re: Delete all members of a PDS that is allocated
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010j.html#82 Percentage of code executed that is
user written was Re: Delete all members of a PDS that is allocated
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010j.html#83 Percentage of code executed that is
user written was Re: De

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970