On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 21:02 -0300, Clark Morris wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2010 15:20:32 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:
>
> >---------------------------------------<snip>------------------------------
> >Until IBM provides a language or variant such as a systems flavor of
> >C/C++ that has access to all of the facilities (including the peculiar
> >linking conventions for some JES exits, any management that does not
> >keep access to assembler expertise is playing with fire. Assembler can
> >be largely self taught by looking at generated code from the HLL of
> >choice although a course on Macros was helpful.
> >--------------------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------------
> >I disagree. Looking at others' code might help to learn the usage of the
> >instruction set, but it won't teach efficient programming techniques.
> >
> >Rick
> >
> Looking at good generated code from decently coded HLL programs can
> give a clue.  However, what amount of knowledge is adequate for
> maintaining JES exits and simple tools from the CBT tape?  More
> important does the person believe in testing in a safe environment and
> reading the appropriate manuals (and knowing whether they understand
> them)?  When you start getting into cross memory services, I don't
> know that I would want to touch that code let alone things that get
> into locks so knowing your limitations is important.
>
> Clark Morris

I think that there is a difference between having a "normal" (ain't no
such beastie) application programmer and an "old style" sysprog. I think
sysprogs need HLASM. I am not convinced that it is necessary for
applications people to really know HLASM or even z architecture. Today's
COBOL is much better than in the past. I can see needing the speed of
assembler in "embedded" type applications. But that is not z/OS's forte.
Commercial programming and COBOL go together like pancakes and maple
syrup. But other languages are coming up for the "webified" world. I
like PHP. PHP using DB2 with perhaps some COBOL stored programs is, IMO,
likely one of the best ways to talk via the web. But others may
reasonable disagree.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><