--- On Mon, 6/28/10, Mark Zelden <mzel...@flash.net> wrote:

From: Mark Zelden <mzel...@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Linklst; 6 of 1/half dozen of the other?
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Date: Monday, June 28, 2010, 11:19 AM

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:40:35 -0400, Don Williams <donb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Where can I find the pros and cons of controlling the content of the MC?

I don't think you'll find what you are looking for (a pros/cons list).   It's
mostly common sense.

There is paragraph in DFSMS Managing Catalogs in the "planning a
configuration" chapter that states this:

"For ease of backup and recovery of the master catalog, no user data sets
should be cataloged in the master catalog. If you deny update access to
the master catalog for most of your users, there is typically much less
update activity for the master catalog."

You might want to have a look at that chapter and the rest of the manual.

Mark

Mark:
I will agree with your points. Plus I would add that giving update out to
anyone is a way to play russian roulette and you won't feel a thing till the
system will not IPL.
Also it does not allow users (assuming your RACF is set up correctly) to put
things in the MC. Way back when (before RACF) our users had a tendency to name
their data sets john.q.accounts.receivables (or some such nonsense).

When we had to move the catalog one day we had to clean it up and found lots of
old stuff in there. So....
We first put a password on the master catalog and at least 2-3 a day we saw
someone trying to update the catalog. We did not give the operators the
password so it always failed.
The users we furious but we stuck to our guns and said use the HLQ(s) you have.
We stopped migration of any foreign datasets in the catalog after that and the
user(s) got the message. We also did this unannounced so we got them good. They
finally got the message and stopped doing it. The password is the easiest way.
BTW I think we set attempts to 0 so the operator would not get involved. This
was before console automation.
>From then on that is what I did. Others might find it a bit harsh but rules
>are rules.
Ed